Dr. Padmaja Galgali
- Production of phenol and acetone from cumene by a two-step process, with the intermediate formation of cumene hydroperoxide by an environmentally friendly method using a solid catalyst. Earlier methods employed the use of sodium hydroxide and sulfuric acid as the catalysts, which cause environmental pollution. This project was sponsored by General Electric, USA.
- Chemical modification of maple wood flour to enhance its thermal stability for preparing heat resistant wood composites. The hydroxyl groups of cellulose, which are generally responsible for the thermal instability of the wood flour, were partially protected by different protecting groups, in order to enhance the thermal stability of the wood flour. We were successful in enhancing the thermal stability of the wood flour by 10 C. This project was sponsored by General Electric, USA.
- Preparation of bisphenols based on cardanol, a constituent of cashew nut shell liquid. The double bonds present in cardanol were reacted to obtain several bisphenol derivatives, which acted as precursors for the synthesis of polycarbonates. This project is being sponsored by General Electric, USA.
Biodegradable synthetic polymers and process for preparation thereof.
Anjani J. Varma, Padmaja Galgali, Digambar V. Gokhale, Ulka S. Puntambekar ( December 2002)
- Sugar-linked biodegradable polymers: Regio-specific ester bonds of glucose hydroxyls in their reaction with maleic anhydride functionalized polystyrene and elucidation of polymer structures formed P. Galgali, M. Agashe, A.J. Varma Carbohydrate Polymers 67, (2007), 576-585
- Synthetic Polymers Functionalized by Carbohydrates : A Review A.J. Varma, J. F. Kennedy, and Padmaja Galgali Carbohydrate Polymers 56, (2004), 429-445
- Fungal degradation of sugar-linked polystyrenes Padmaja Galgali, Ulka S. Puntambekar, Digambar V. Gokhale, Anjani J. Varma Carbohydrate Polymers 55, (2004), 393-399
- Towards biodegradable polyolefins: strategy of anchoring minute quantities of monosaccharides and disaccharides onto functionalized polystyrene, and their effect on facilitating polymer biodegradation Padmaja Galgali, Anjani J. Varma, Ulka S. Puntambekar, Digambar V. Gokhale Chem. Commun., 2002, 2884-2885.
- Effect of single-step chlorosulfonation of HDPE in a sealed pressure reactor on its thermal properties in a sealed reactor A.J.Varma, P.Kondapalli, S.V.Deshpande, S.P.Kokane. Polymer Degradation and Stability, 63, 1999, (5- 9)
- A comparative study of the thermal behavior of PVC, a series of synthesized chlorinated polyethylenes and HDPE A.J.Varma, S.V.Deshpande, P.Kondapalli Polymer Degradation and Stability, 63,1999, (1-3)